Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The Greatest

Listen here
Lyrics

Today's song is "The Greatest" by Cat Power. This track reflects my overall attitude of life, rather than just today. I thought it would be appropriate to start the blog off this way.

Don't we all want to be the greatest? I know I've had lofty aspirations, especially in my earlier, emotionally charged teenage years. I have found that maturity and life experience pushes those hopes down, making me feel silly for being such a dreamer. The reality of life and its hardships weigh down on those innocent hopes and dreams. Something remarkable happens when you are in that lofty stage of dreaming...you feel like nothing can knock you down. No one can tell you no. You are invincible. What happens to that bravery? My answer is age. Time. Maturity. Knowledge. Life. Does it depress me? Kind of, but I embrace it. The harsh reality keeps me grounded and almost comforts me. Being so lofty can be dangerous in this cruel world, however that part of me still lives somewhere. My hopes aren't completely buried six feet under the ground of reality.

This beautiful, soulful track, "The Greatest" represents this failed ambition. Chan Marshall, the woman behind the stage name, Cat Power, is honest and raw as she submits to life's circumstances and actuality. The song is humbling, just as life can humble us.

"Once I wanted to be the greatest
No wind or waterfall could stall me

And then came the rush of the flood

Stars of night turned deep to dust"


Not only do I love the meaning of this song, I love how raw Marshall's voice is. You can hear the experience and pain in her voice, like she's definitely been through the throws of life. Along with her voice and humbling lyrics, the piano in the background completes the equation of soulful perfection and a very infectious song.

The song might depress some, but I appreciate its honesty. I am okay with being grounded because it's safe. I work best here on the ground. However, I love this song because I can remember and recognize that once I wanted to be the greatest, and just maybe one day I might lift my feet of the ground....just a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment